- To put this post into a proper perspective, you should read Multi TV Ghana, a new free digital satellite TV service first.
- Multi TV is at Testing Transmission phase and therefore, some of the glitches I have observed should be understandable to some extent.
- I got this installation since Thursday evening, my writing is based on the hours during which I monitored the new service only. I’m only a single human and couldn’t have watched all the time since Thursday.
I called one of the accredited Multi TV installers last Thursday morning and by 5pm, the service was fully installed.
- Duration of installation: Less than 1 hour
- Cost of multitv decoder & installation: 250 Ghana cedis
- Number of channels: 10
Channels as they appear:
- Joy TV: western movies
- Cine Afrik: supposedly African movies, but I have seen Nigerian movies only, so far
- Hits TV: Local and foreign music video. The channel occasionally hooks up to Nigerian music video channel Nigezie
- 4Kids: TV programmes targetted at children
- Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN): Christian-related TV programming
- CNN International: 24 hours news and useful information
- This channel is rotated between BBC World News and Al Jazeera English
- Joy Sports: sport-related TV programming
- Nhyira TV: gospel music in Ghanaian languages
- This channel is alternated between local TV stations TV3 and GTV
The not-so-good; I’m assuming these listed glitches would be taken care of before Multi TV gets out of test transmission
- Some of the channels simply disappeared for minutes, occasionally
- The channels crack-up sometimes, immediately after I switch from one to another
- Empty programming bar: The information bar on the lower end of the screen that’s supposed to display information about the programme one is watching, is empty.
- No programming schedule: one cannot check the next programme to be screened
- I saw a Nigerian movie repeated on Cine Afrik within a 24 hour period
- According to the installer I queried, dual-view decoders are not yet available unlike what Joy FM is announcing.
- There is no radio service on the system yet: Joy FM and other radio stations belonging to MultiMedia Group Limited are not on Multi TV. I called their customer service to ask about this and the agent I spoke with confirmed this, adding that Joy FM & others should be available on this platform in the near future. This is unlike the announcement I hear on Joy FM.
- Unlike what is widely advertised, there are only 10 channels at this time despite the 20 channels they brag about
- There are frequent advertorial interruptions on Joy TV, Cine Afrik, Hitz TV, Joy Sports. What would one expect of a free TV service anyway?
- The channels are crystal clear; not unexpected from a digital satellite television service
- The decoder booting period is very short, unlike DSTV’s decoders that take about a minute to boot
- I am a bit sceptical about CNN being retained as a full channel for ever. CNN alone is enough reason for many to hook-up. Wouldn’t DSTV be out of business?
- The service has enough local programming to attract enough audience to keep it afloat
- DSTV is still the king of satellite TV broadcast in Africa. Don’t throw your DSTV decoder into the Atlantic just yet.
Multi TV satellite information: Should you have 90-cm KU band satellite dish + a free-to-air decoder, you may attempt searching for MultiTV using the following information. Do well to let me know if it works.
Satellite: Intelsat 12
LNB Type: Type1
LNB Power: On
NIT Search: No
Scan Mode: Sat