Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah, the host of Joy FM‘s Super Morning Show has been teasing his listeners’ for some days now about a new service from Joy FM’s parent company Multimedia Group Limited. The service is essentially a free multi-channel digital satellite system available in every corner of Ghana. From the group’s website:
MultiTV is a nationwide free to air Television in Ghana. It currently operates 20 radio and TV channels and still counting. These include Joy TV, Joy News, Joy Sports, Adom TV, Hitz TV, 4Kids, Cine Afrik, Nhyira TV, The Jesus Channel, Real TV.
It appears subscribers would only pay for equipment (digital set-up box/decoder, satellite dish) and installation. Since the service is on satellite, it would be accessible from every corner of Ghana, and by extension most part of West Africa at least. I have no information about what satellite platform the service is on. I will share that information and as soon as I come across it.
Joy FM is easily Ghana’s best radio station. The station is very professional and has maintained high standards over the years. I will write a full review about Joy FM soon. Going by the quality offered by MGL through Joy FM, one can safely conclude that MultiTV would be a very good service.
UPDATE on Monday 6th July 2009:
MultiMedia Group Limited is having a media launch for its MultiTV service today.
The service is the newest edition to the MultiMedia family. MultiMedia has been around for 15 years, offering entertainment, news of the highest quality across 6 radio stations and an online service to the people of Ghana.
Listeners have been yearning and craving for the full complement of media services. After some research, the company came to the realization that there is an opportunity to go into TV and offer that service.
Subscribers to MultiTV will need to buy a digibox from distributors spread across Ghana, and the digibox is a one-time investment. No subcription or monthly charges is required and subscribers would have access to high-quality digital TV/Radio channels.
MultiTV is starting-off with 20 radio and TVs but the technology can be scaled-up to 200 channels and therefore offers are open for churches, sport clubs to sign-up for their own respective channels. The service would be available across Ghana from day 1 since this is a satellite service.
Their website www.multitvworld.com is still under construction as at this morning and as such does not offer any information.
A brief overview of the channels:
- Joy TV: international movies and series, general entertainment
- Cine Afrik: movies and series from Ghana, Nigeria and other African countries
- Hit TV: Music and lifestyle channel
- Kids TV: Award-winning programmes targetted at children
- Joy Sports: European leagues and tournamements. In addition to soccer, the station will promote other sports like basketball, lawn tennis, golf etc.
- Joy News: A combination of France24, CNN, BBC, AlJazeera and some local content from Joy. It would also feature great current affair programmes.
- Jesus Channel: A combo of foreign gospel music and christian kids programming, movies, praise and worship, preaching and more.
- Nhyria TV: Everything gospel, in Ghanaian local language
- Adom TV: Complete local language programming, movies, telenovelas dubbed into local languages, sports, news etc
- Real TV: reality show and events, JOY FM bridal fair, Joy FM old-school reunion etc. Companies and organizations would also be able to their events live on this channel.
Essentially, MultiTV will synergize with existing radio stations belonging to MultiMedia Group Ltd. Local producers also have the platform to showcase their best productions.
You can call MultiTV on 021-211680-5